Oil Painting – Château d’Azay-le-Rideau

| November 26, 2011

My November Painting Challenge Submission

Ahhhh, a holiday weekend with plenty of time to paint. Well, here it is – my November painting challenge submission of Château d’Azay-le-Rideau. Although I started with a pretty tight drawing, I tried to keep my brushstrokes loose. I struggled a bit with the reflection but generally like how it turned out.  OK, I will admit, this was a tough challenge. It seems so easy when I put up a photo. Painting it, however, is an entirely different proposition! Below is a detail shot of the brushstrokes.

November painting challenge detail photo

1. Randy Saffle says:

Looks good Lee. I couldn’t fit this one in this month, but I loved the photo. Your photography is amazing. I like the shadows you painted on the left side of the building.

Happy late Thanksgiving by the way!

2. Margaret says:

I love your loose brush strokes and I also admired the “tight” drawing. I have been so busy with kids this past year, but this really, really makes me itch to get back to other things! I am going to try. The sky is very well done, I think – and the orange in the windows – perfect.

3. Millie says:

What a beauty, Lee! It’s just lovely. I was so tempted to paint the challenge, but it’s so tight during Holidays seasons.

Hi Randy! Thanks for the comment. Hope all is well south. When are you coming back to Colorado?

Margaret…thanks for stopping by. I know kids can be demanding! Mine got married last June. Empty nesters for real!

Hi Millie. Thank you for the kind words. Enjoy your holiday. There will always be another challenge!

5. LeavesOfCrimson says:

Absolutely gorgeous, Lee! I loved the photo, the drawing, and the painting!

6. A.Barlow says:

Ah, so you finished it! Looks great man. I like the details and the red. Nice work.

7. How weird! I painted a chateau today, not as well as yours – or as colourful, it was a very gray day though. Like this and your site.

8. Lydie says:

Well done Lee, beautiful light and shadow and great idea to be loose with your brush strokes.
    Merry Christmas to you !