Pauline Chapel Challenge Painting

| March 14, 2010
Pauline Chapel - 8x10, Oil on Linen

Pauline Chapel – 8×10, Oil on Linen

This one was fun! I am pretty excited about being able to use HDR photo’s for references when it it tough for me to get outside to paint. The more information the better and HDR photos definitely have more information to work with. While painting this, I was really just concentrating on translating the feeling of light on the face of the chapel to the canvas, which is what motivated me to take the photo in the first place. The painting session was filled with a bunch of back and fourth as I would check one note against the next and then make adjustments when necessary. I found myself stepping back to see if that feeling of light was coming through and then darkening areas selectively to create the contrast that was required for the effect. The dome on the tower is the brightest spot so everything else in the painting had to be relatively darker. I have to say that when I look and this piece, it provides me with feeling I had the day I was there. In the end, For me, that is the goal. I am looking forward to see the other versions you are working on. It is always fun to see how other see!

1. Dana Cooper says:

Beautiful Lee, I love your version. What I thought was camera distortion in the shape of the building is actually the shape of the church.
    Great handling of all the areas around the door too.

Thank you Dana. I think the flare at the bottom is a sort of buttressing that is common in church architecture. It may be all looks here but is usually to allow wide roof spans in cathedrals. Notre Dame, among others, is a great example of beautifully functional buttressing. I did shoot this at about 28mm though, which did cause the top to narrow a little. I, like you, decided to widen the top a bit to correct for it. Have a good week!

3. Pam Holnback says:

Lee, This is really well done. You got the color notes. The back and forth and color adjustments worked!

Thanks Pam. One of the things I really looked for were the subtle transitions. I noticed the shadows on the face of the chapel were darker in the upper right and lighter in the lower left. Jay Moore said to look for transitions as they always exist in nature and creats a more interesting painting!

5. Perry says:

Great job, Lee!

Thanks Perry! I’m glad thing went well for you at the show last weekend. Still bummed that I was not able to make it to Breck!

7. Liz Holm says:

It’s great, Lee. I love the dappled light. It’s interesting to see the buttressing on a non-gothic building. Or maybe that’s just the flying variety?

Hello Liz! Long time to talk! I hope you are doing well. Thanks for the feedback. For grins, I just looked up interior pictures of the chapel and the “buttresses” are lined up with the loads of the roof trusses. It may have just been a way to spread the roof load over a larger area of the foundation. Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany has an amazing foundation that flares to support the massive loads of the castle. Fun stuff!