“September at Ponte Vecchio” Oil Painting

| October 26, 2009
ponte vecchio painting

“September at Ponte Vecchio” – 11×14, Oil on Canvas

Well so much for progress shots. I totally got into this one on Sunday. I started painting about 2pm and finished at about 10pm Sunday night. I made a few obligatory adjustments before I went to work this morning and this is the result. I must say that starting off with the tight sketch with accurate perspective seemed to help me a lot. I first began blocking in the buildings on the right – being very careful to preserve my sketched perspective lines. I then blocked in the stone structure of the bridge, paying close attention to the value relationships from front to back. Once I was confident that I was on the right track, I went back into those areas to break up the masses a bit and loosen up the brushwork. That seemed to set the tone for the rest of the painting, which I am happy with because I feel that I made some progress. Architectural pieces have been particularly tough for me with all the detail. On this one, I tried to keep things reasonably simple and lay the colors in with some confidence. It’s a relief to have a some semblance of process that I feel I can leverage for future pieces.

1. Dana Cooper says:

You are so fast, Lee. This is a wonderful piece with great light on the buildings. You did a great job with the drawing and giving a sense of depth with the color on the stone…bravo!

2. Nicole says:

It’s wonderful, Lee! I can feel the sunshine and the cool shade under the bridge. I find architectural paintings difficult because of the detail, too — you did a terrific job with this one. Enough detail to set the mood and not so much it overwhelms and looks overworked. The values look spot-on.

What *are* those buildings on the bridge? They look like they’re glued on and held up by toothpicks, lol. I’m not sure I’d trust them!

Thanks Dana! I think I like the stone best on this one and feel like I can use the experience in future paintings. By the way, I’ve been enjoying your posts lately and admire how busy you are at painting!

Thank you Nicole! I appreciate your comments and share your view of the difficulty of architectural paintings. I see this one as progress with more practice needed! The buildings are mostly gold and silver shops, and yes, they are supported by toothpicks!

4. Randy says:

Great job. The light is nice in this one. I’m always drawn to architecture. Sounds like you really got into this one. I love the cool shadow colors on the pinkish room.

Thanks Randy. Good to hear from you. I am still questioning a few of the color choices but time to move on to the next one!

6. Ann Rogers says:

Love this scene in Florence, can’t wait to see your various steps. I totally agree with your theory of a good drawing making a better painting…otherwise I try to hurry the painting along and end up with “mud”! Have really enjoyed your vacation pics.