Sandstone Creek Oil Painting from Study

| June 22, 2009
sandstone creek colorado oil painting

Creek at Sandstone Ranch – 18×24, Oil on Canvas

Here is the final image of the Sandstone Creek piece with final touch ups and less glare in the photo. I ended up making the vertical mass of trees on the left darker, added more depth to the foreground bushes, and broke up the middle ground field a bit. I like the way this turned out. I was happy that I could use a few of the tips that I learned during my outdoor class a couple of weeks ago. It was also nice to be able to take a piece all the way from a field study to a larger canvas.

1. liz says:

This is gorgeous, Lee. I love the snaking river, and the changes that you made to create more depth. A lovely visual journey.
    Have you watched the Christensen DVD yet?

2. Tracy Brech says:

Lee, I love the softness of it! Great job!

Thanks Liz. I did watch the Christensen DVD over the weekend. I liked it because it showed a lot of color mixing on the palette and his basic approach to plein air studies. You can tell he has a lot of experience outdoors because once the paint was down, there was very little correcting going on. I keep telling myself patience, practice and persistence!

Thank you Tracy. I appreciate your encouragement!

4. Rick says:

Super well done, Lee. It’s beautiful! Love the posts on China as well. Hope you and Matt had a blast!

Thanks Rick! Hope the project is coming along well!

6. Randy Saffle says:

Very good job! Nice greens through out. My favorite part is how you handled the distant horizon and your water, sweet. I agree with the three “P’s” you named.

Thank you Randy. The water is fun to paint and the goal on the horizon was to get the essence of the great distance I was seeing. Hope you have fun when you come out to Colorado next month!

8. mom & dad says:

Very nice!!…. will you paint a pic of our boat on the lake near the beach??

Thanks! Sure. I plan to bring my pochade box when we come out to visit.