“Sunshine Siamese” Oil Painting

| May 12, 2009
"Sunshine Siamese" 11"x14" Oil on Canvas

"Sunshine Siamese" 11"x14" Oil on Canvas

Ok, so I am feeling a little schizophrenic. Cats, peppers, cabs, trees and barns – what kind of painter am I? I guess I don’t know yet. I have been told, paint what moves you and that is exactly what I did with this piece. Donna and I had a Siamese cat for 18 years, of which 11 years was spent battling diabetes. My wife is an amazing pet care giver and I am sure Otis lived many years beyond his 9th life as a result. This piece is not of Otis but it reminded me of him, especially hanging out in the window here like Zsa Zsa. She belongs to my best friend Ric and his wife Lisa. One night at dinner, Lisa pulled out her iPhone to show us a few family pictures she had recently taken. Scrolling through, she passed one she had snapped of Zsa Zsa in the window. I stopped her in her tracks and said, “you are going to have to email me that one.” The intense light and the patterns left by the window dividers caught my eye and that is really what this piece is about for me. It was a blast to paint and is one of the few paintings to date with which I am really satisfied. It is the first painting that I have given away, which now has a home on Ric and Lisa’s wall. Sorry about the glare, the dark colors were a bit hard to get completely clear.

1. Perry says:

Wow, this is very impressive. Those shadows casted across Otis are very well executed. Another success for you Lee.

Thanks Perry. Your comment means a lot to me as a new fine artist. Thanks for taking the time to comment and the encouragement. Likewise, I encourage ADNW visitors to visit Perry’s blog. He posts new works weekly and is having great success with his rural and urban landscapes. Visit Perry at the following link: http://perrybrownstudio.blogspot.com/

3. Peter Lee says:

It’s really nice!
    shadows look great.

Thank you Peter! Welcome to ADNW and thanks for joining!

5. Perry says:

I just realized this cat is Zsa Zsa not Otis. Sorry! You are doing very well for just venturing out. I would never even think of posting my earlier works! Maybe try giving yourself a project and paint a series of these?

No worries Perry. Thanks for the advice on doing a series. I have actually been thinking in that way recently. I was also a bit self conscious about posting my initial attempts but have grown to respect the vulnerability that other new artists have shown in their journey. I find this process incredibly motivating and enjoy the interaction with other artists, which is difficult for me since I have a professional job as well.

7. Carol Nelson says:

Hi Lee, This is a beautiful painting. And, you’re right, the shadows are what makes the painting. You did such a good job – your friends are lucky.

Thanks Carol. Funny how pictures just grab us sometimes. It also seemed to make the painting go more smoothly since I was really into the elements of the composition. I enjoyed giving this one away since it had such a personal meaning.

9. liz holm says:

I love the shadows in this. So phenomenal. I suffer from the same what kind of painter am I syndrome. In your case, the answer to the question is “excellent.”

Thank you Liz…you are too kind! We will figure it out someday!