“Pennsylvania Peace” Oil Painting

| May 23, 2009
pennsylvania farm painting

“Pennsylvania Peace” 8″x10″ Oil on Linen on Board

As with my other posts that are inspired by the Different Strokes From Different Folks blog, this Pennsylvania farm was painted from a photograph that Karin Jurick provided on her site. Man, I thought this week’s challenge was going to be a total bummer because the reference was in black and white! Not having much outdoor painting experience, I figured I would be at a disadvantage on this one. After doing what Karin recommended, which was to pour over the websites of other landscape artists, as well as sneaking a few peeks out of the back window of our home, the challenge seemed within in reach. It is an interesting experience to go after a piece with no particular palette in mind. I knew I wanted the foreground meadow to be a reasonably lush green, but after that, all bets were off. I basically let the painting do the talking and went with the flow. I really wanted to try and capture the essence of the distance to the far hills. I decided that as the landscape receded into the distance, I would swap warm colors for cooler colors and make the overall values lighter. I also wanted the field to the right of the farm to sparkle a little. This has been a good warm up for my trip into the field with Colorado landscape painter John Taft, which is scheduled for the week after next. I have been nervous and excited at the same time about the trip. I am happy to say that I feel that this painting has helped calm my nerves a little.

P.S.: 7:02pm on 5/24 – After staring at the piece for a while, I decided to make a few more tweaks. I toned the roofs down and added a little more detail to the foreground. I did not want to add detail to the building because I did not want to take away from the landscape. O.K. now I am done. It’s hard not to keep questioning the work. For some reason, I bet I am not alone!

1. Ann Rogers says:

Mission accomplished! The canvas really “talked” to you with a great composition and color palette. The coolness and values of the colors are perfect.

Thank you Ann. I appreciate you stopping by!

3. Joanna says:

Thanks so much with your comment, Lee! (Seems like Chinese name, 🙂 )

Have a good trip to Beijing. Enjoy the food and history buildings and scenery…don’t forget the weekend antique market! You will find a lot of interesting things!! Also. it is the best time visiting in Beijing. If you need more infor. about Beijing, please contact me anytime. I will be very happy to help you.

Thanks Joanna. You are the best! I have great respect for the Chinese people. I have the privilege of working with a number of fine people from China and they are among the nicest I know. I just may take you up on your offer!

5. SaraWinters says:

I would have found that disturbing too! Your painting looks great- I especially like what you have done with the sky. I’m sending some folks your way- tagged you for the Kreativ Blogger award.

6. Dana Cooper says:

This is a lovely interpretation of the challenge! No, you are not alone in second guessing your work. Have a wonderful trip!

Sara. You’re the best! Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Your positive attitude is infectious!

Hi Dana. Thanks! Also, thanks for confirming my suspicion. It was easier trying things an umpteen number of ways with my digital art. I dislike leaving anything on the table design wise and I have to give myself permission to experiment and be OK with the outcome when it comes to my painting projects.

8. Liz says:

Hi, Lee – really great version of challenge. I really like the more intense greens in the fields to the right, and the warmth in the sky. superb. great atmospheric perspective.
    safe travels!

Thanks Liz. On my last landsape attempt, all my colors were screaming and therefore it seemed nothing was heard. Holding back on many colors let the more intense greens pop. I also blued up the greens and knocked them back with dashes of red on this one. Learning one step at a time! Best/ Lee

10. Kerri Settle says:

I think you did a wonderful job with the colors, and yours is one of my favorites so far in terms of mood and composition. Beautiful work!

Thanks a ton Kerri. I like the mood on yours as well. The color progression is very pleasing. I sit back in awe of grand landscape paintings that really provide a true sense of atmosphere. I hope to make more progress toward my lofty goal of achieving that feeling in my own work during my class next week. I keep telling myself that the journey is the best part of any endeavor!

12. -Farid says:

Nice. I don’t know which I enjoyed more – the painting or the description of how you arrived at it. Probably equally !

Isn’t tweaking that the best part of creative stuff ? you’re never really ‘done’, and yet you are always ‘done’ in some sense. When you’re at peace with it, that’s when you let it go.

Sage advice Farid! Thanks for visiting. I agree with your perspective. I think never seeing your own work for the first time perpetuates that feeling of never quite being done. For the most part, I feel I am done when I remind myself to look for solid evidence that I have achieved my original goal for the painting.

14. Your piece for DSFDF is great . I love the crop you gave it

Thanks so much Dominique! I really appreciate your comments and you taking the time to visit. I hope to catch up on yours and other DSFDF paintings this weekend. Take care, /Lee